Mount Athos weathered lithography (icon) of Zoodochos Pigi in pine wood with carved decoration.
Dimensions: 23x16cm, Weight: ~ 550gr.
The Feast of the Life-Giving Spring was established in the 19th century as an anniversary of the inauguration of the holy temple built in honor of the Virgin of the Life-Giving Spring in Baloukli of Constantinople. The emperor Leo the Great, in the year 474 AD, built a temple of exceptional beauty in honor of the Virgin Mary. The temple was located near a spring, whose thermal water had healed many people, including the emperor Justinian.
During the Turkish occupation, Zoodochos Pigi was demolished and its materials were used to build the ottoman mosque of Sultan Bayazit. In the year 1835 AD, Patriarch Constantius II inaugurated the new church. The Orthodox Christian Church celebrates Zoodochos Pigi every year five days after Easter.